This blog is for pretty much anyone who loves interior design! Includes current industry trends & topics, tips, job hunting, networking, and advice, as well as my own thoughts and ideas.


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Rabbit Swings and Pop-Up Things

In an earlier post, I put up a link to a video that covered 2010 trends. Today I found some articles that are good examples of two of those trends: pop-up shops & nostalgia.
In a tweet I received from Gensler, it contained an article from The New York Times about pop-up businesses. In my opinion, I too see pop-up shops as a result of the recession. It is a way to get a business idea out in the world to see if the products/services offered will sell and to make some money in the process. With so many businesses closing, it seems to be a low-risk way of seeing how well business ideas will do without having to lease a shop. It is a great concept! I think it is also a good marketing strategy to see what sells in particular areas, who is buying from it, and what they are buying. I agree with the article that after the recession we will see less of these here-today-gone-tomorrow businesses, but that it will not be the end of it entirely.

Contract magazine had a link to a rabbit swing. This is definitely a product of the nostalgia trend. It is fun and kind of quirky, something you might find from a dream or a child's imagination, but to me it seems a little on the morbid side.

No comments:

Post a Comment