This blog is for pretty much anyone who loves interior design! Includes current industry trends & topics, tips, job hunting, networking, and advice, as well as my own thoughts and ideas.


Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Design Job Advice

Here is some advice I complied from professionals I spoke to in the design field:

Move to the location you would like to begin my career in. I have heard this before and I admit I did consider it before graduating from college, but with the economy being unpredictable it would be too risky for me since I do not have enough funds to cover me until I find something. Currently here in MI where I live, it is tough to even find a part-time job. If the economy was in a better state I believe I would have done it. That is may situation, but may not be yours. I believe it is good advice if you can support yourself! It could be a fun and interesting experience. Who knows what will turn up or who you will meet?

Speaking of adventures, why not have an adventure? If you are currently one of the millions of Americans unemployed, this is the perfect opportunity to go somewhere or try something new. I am actually taking this opportunity to build a better relationship with my family, improve my 3D design skills, cover some topics I need to refresh my brain with, and get healthy. I am also getting ready to support my community by getting involved with volunteering. Maybe you can start a new hobby, write a book, start an emu farm, grow a garden, travel, or anything else you have wanted to do, but never really had the time to.

Other things they told me were: Network as much as possible- go to events, volunteer, etc., just try to get your name out there. Work on getting LEED certification. It can be costly, but very worth it. Try to find work anywhere you can even if it’s the job nobody else wants because those who are employed and show consistent employment are more desirable candidates. It also eliminates questions raised by potential employers as to why you haven’t been working and possibly why other employers did not want to hire you. (Of course in this economy I imagine they may be a little more flexible on that subject considering the situation.)

Finally, explore possibilities. Yes, I went to school for interior design and you probably did too, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that is what you or I will do with our lives. For example, my dad is a contract manager for a fairly well-known company, but he went to school to be a pilot and for business. He also worked in retail for 5 yrs as a manager until he decided to do contract managing and got a job with an aviation company. Remember it is ok to be open-minded about your future. Don’t tie yourself down to just one thing.

I hope this information helps or gives you something to think about!
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment