This blog is for pretty much anyone who loves interior design! Includes current industry trends & topics, tips, job hunting, networking, and advice, as well as my own thoughts and ideas.


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Job Search Engines

Career Builder is definitely NOT my favorite resume posting site. I received numerous phone calls and e-mails from insurance company agents and I'm pretty sure some loan companies got a hold of my info from there too. I like to use this phone number website called 800Notes where I can put in the number and see who owns it, which usually ends up as insurance or loans or a disconnected number. I noticed on 800Notes that a lot of the comments mentioned they had their resume posted on Career Builder, so I decided to remove mine from there to see what happens. Guess what, the calls and emails stopped! I still use Career Builder to search for job openings since it has easy to use search features, plus their email newsletter has lots of helpful information for job seekers. I just will not be posting my resume again any time soon.

Another job engine I do not care for is HotJobs. Every time I look for job openings, I tend to find some seemingly shady, non-direct listings, and training programs. Yes, there are some listings that are legit, but I rarely find any listings I would comfortably send my info to. I have not posted my resume on HotJobs so I do not know what kind of responses will come from it and I am not interested in finding out.

There are job engines I love to use because I can set up e-mail alerts that get sent directly to my in-box, have easy to use resume builders, and provide helpful hints and tips. My favorite job search sites are definitely: Indeed, Get Interior Design Jobs, Juju, Interior Design JobZone, Coroflot, and Monster. One great thing about Monster is it has handy little communities you can join to find out more about your profession, network, and see what is going on in the business world. My favorite is Art Bistro- geared towards design/illustration/art professions.

Definitely try all kinds of job search engines because not all listings will be on every one. Be sure to always check the official websites of places you want to work too, because many times they have job postings that are not listed elsewhere online. Just because those sites did not work out for me, does not mean it will not work out for you.

Here are some links you can use:
http://www.indeed.com
http://www.coroflot.com (Design professions)
http://800notes.com (Phone # comments)
http://www.job-search-engine.com (JuJu)
http://www.monster.com

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I am also a recent ID graduate and just read your comment on the IIDA LinkedIn wall. I wanted to say thanks for the other jobs sites to look at , some of them I had never heard of before, and good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking out my blog and good luck to you as well! I am hoping this blog will take-off in time and I can help others out too. I am also hoping more discussions will start so it is a little more interactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your post on the Interiors group and followed the link to your blog. Thanks for sharing! I guess these things take time to develop. I just started a blog as well, but I haven't dedicated myself to it yet. I will probably be an occasional blogger at best. It's under "chitchat" on my website - www.bonnietoland.com. I appreciate how open and helpful people are in this process and hope we all find great jobs!

    ReplyDelete